Monday, July 7, 2008

First day in Stockholm

So we have a rental car, which I can already tell will be a blessing and a burden. When we went to pick it up we expected that a GPS would be included in the rental which was not the case. Renting one for the entire trip would cost as much as buying one outright so we decided not to get one. I did the driving since, my Mom is a bit out of practice with driving a standard. Since my car back home is stick, I figured it would be less difficult for me to drive and try to figure out what European road signs mean. A side note: we barely got all of our luggage into our car.



The driving on the highway to Stockholm was pretty straightforward, but with Mom, our fearless leader doing the navigating from the frontseat, things got a little hairy once we hit the city. After missing a number of turns and probably pulling a few illegal moves (I swear I'm getting better with the signs every time) we ended up on a tunnel going under an island and were actually leaving the city. If you can only picture me yelling frantically where to go, my Mom yelling back that she can't read the map, Alison and Huw still chatting away and John snapping pictures at everything we drove past then you have a pretty good idea of what that car trip was like. Eventually we found our way to the hostle and got all settled in.

By the time we arrive to the hostel we still had time to go sightseeing for few hours, and after we found an ATM to get money we headed over to Djurgården to the Vasa Museum. The Vasa ship was HUGE and the museum itself very impressive. The museum was literally built around the ship. We took a short ferry ride back to our island, Skeppsholmen, ate dinner, and then Mom and I promptly passed out. John, Alison, and Huw stayed up later, like teenagers usually do, and hung out around the waterfront and did a little exploring.

We have to go for now, we'll post more tomorrow and hopefully include some photos! Heydor!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej all,

I hope you're enjoying Sweden so far.
I can't wait to see you.
Where are you staying in Karlstad?
If they have a regular phone let me know the number and then I'll call you on Thursday evening.
It's a little bit cheaper than calling any of your cellphones.

I'll send you an email with directions from Karlstad to Bräkne-Hoby.
Talk to you soon

Wyatt said...

Looks like you even have writing assignments, Alison on the plane trip, and Corrine on the car rental. Sounds quite adventurous exploring tunnels & all :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet and Corrine. We just signed you two up for the next "Amazing Race" competition. They are always looking for a mother daughter team.